Leaving Durban around 09h15 AM. We recommend guests to have breakfast, (but will stop at a Refreshment Centre enroute if required ). We head west towards old country roads that will take us through many forgotten farming villages and rural Zulu Kraals with traditional homesteads nearby. Proceeding towards Drakensberg Mountain, the road climbs almost a mile in altitude and we will eventually come to a stop at a little town called Underberg which is situated at the foothills of the Drakensberg Mountain Range. The drive should take approximately 3 hours subject to driving conditions
Enjoy lunch at, then we proceed to a rustic Working Horse Ranch where you will be residing for the next 2 nights.
A 2 hour Horse Ride in the early afternoon and offers great opportunities for photographs from the Mountain Range. Marvel at the 3200 meter Drakensberg escarpment. If you don’t fancy a horse ride the guide will be more than happy to arrange a walk to explore the surrounding areas.
Having arranged our accommodation we will settle down in the early evenning to enjoy the sunset over the western peaks of the Drakensberg. Enjoy the evening with a hearty meal. The accommodation is in Dorms with facilities catering for hot showers. Linen is supplied and the temperatures during Winter (June to November) can drop below zero degrees.
* Lunch, Dinner and Accommodation is provided
Breakfast as they say is the most important meal of the day and will definitely boost our energy for a full day's hike ahead. The aim of the hike is to reach the escarpment where many sites of good quality ancient San Rock Painting can be found. The San (Bushman) Paintings are national monuments and guests are asked to please follow the instructions given to them by their guide. A daypack lunch is provided as we look in wonder at the 300 000 year old setting.
The walk will depend on the ability of the Hikers. The walk is considered to require a certain degree of fitness but can be done at a reasonable pace for all hikers. Paths are clearly marked and allows for guests to rest or move back down the mountain to just sit by the river, soak in some sun and view the mighty Drakensberg escarpment. If weather conditions are condusive you are welcome to have a swim in pristine river pools (arrange with the Guide)
No matter what you choose to do your senses will always be in overdrive as the Drakensberg is recognized not only as a World Heritage Site but a botanical hotspot and is alive with colour in all seasons. Eagles are often spotted in the clear skies and the surrounding grasslands are home to Eland, Baboons, Common Reedbuck and more.
*Breakfast, lunch and Dinner and Accommodation is provided
Early Breakfast and then head out to Underberg where you will hop on to a 4x4, meet your guide and start our journey up the spectacular Sani Pass into the Mountain Kingdom of Lesotho. The road to Lesotho climbs up 1200 m in a space of 20 km and is only accessible by 4x4. PLEASE NOTE PASSPORTS ARE NEEDED FOR BORDER CONTROL PURPOSES AND TO COMPLETE THE DAYTRIP TO BASOTHO VILLAGES
Photographic opportunities are endless as the views from every angle is spectacular. Once at the top we visit a local community village giving us insight into the daily life of the Basotho people. An opportunity to sample the home made bread.
Proceed to the 'Highest Pub in Africa', enjoy Lunch and a beer or two. Depart and start our descent of the Drakensberg Mountains and head back to Underberg. Your guide will be waiting for you to change vehicles and head back for Durban and arriving at approximately 18h30pm subject to driving conditions.
* Breakfast is provided
* Lunch at Sani Pass is for your Own Account
TOUR DEPARTS ANYDAY AROUND 09h15 AM
MINIMUM NUMBER OF 2 PEOPLE
COST OF TOUR IS R 4000-00
NB. Accommodation Upgrade if you require is a Double or your own Unit with Bathroom and Toilet at an additional cost of R250 per person per night.
· Pick-up and drop off at any accommodation in Central Durban and immediate surrounding areas
· Dinner on day of departure
· Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner on day 2
· Breakfast on day 3
· Services of Tekweni Guide
· The 4 x 4 Vehicles Daytrip up Sani Pass/Lesotho
· Horse Riding & Hike/Walk in the Mountain
· Dorm Type Accommodation Sharing ( see Upgrade Option if required )
· Transport, Tolls, Entrance Fees, Local Community Guide
WHAT TO BRING:
· Good walking shoes or hiking boots
· PASSPORT for entry into Lesotho
· Rainproof jacket or poncho’s are supplied
· Warm clothes for cold evenings
· Camera and plenty of film
· A hat and sun block
· Water bottle
· Swimming costume and towel if you want
· Spending money for personal items such as curios, water and drinks.
OTHER IMPORTANT DETAILS:
· Cameras are acceptable but the guide may request certain scenes not be photographed. Please respect this
· Times given are merely guidelines and can alter based on weather conditions
· Travel insurance is not included and full coverage is recommended
· Tour prices are subject to change at any time but usually annual increases are applied
· This tour has a one day, two day and three day option available.
· Tekweni Ecotours cannot be held responsible for passport left behind but will endeavor to ensure all passengers have not forgotten your passports.
· Please note unless you have made prior arrangements guests will be returned to the accommodation establishment they were collected from.
“DON’T JUST TASTE IT - TOUCH IT”